Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2002/07/30

Waking Up

One of the things I did at SUUSI was to take a song-writing workshop from Peter Mayer. He played in concert at SUUSI, but I never got to see him because I preferred to contra-dance. But I saw him at the workshop. He gave us the fundamentals of song-writing, inlucing rhyming, developing ideas, and developing music for the ideas. I came up with two ideas, namely a dance in a storm and a ballad about John Walker. Unfortunately, both of these ideas have already appeared in song.

Today I played one of his CDs and got attracted to "Dancing Song", in which he and his partner dance for their lives, and "Waking Up", about getting away from some of the unnecessary stuff we do in our lives. The last one would make a good theme song for next year's SUUSI, with a theme of "Simple Gifts".

No comments: