Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2002/08/05

Letter to Jesus

Today I heard of a case in Ohio where students were asked to send a letter to someone who had a big influence in their lives. One student wrote his to Jesus. His teacher told him that he could not do that because Jesus did not exist. The student replied that he existed for him, and his mother sued the school for $15 million. Ouch. People like to sue all over the place these days. I don't think the student or his mother have a case. Part of the assignment was to get a written reply, and it seemed unlikely in his case. Besides, if I was in that class, hearing that a student was writing to Jesus, I could have written to Santa Claus, or to Superman, or to Mickey Mouse, telling him how much I loved his TV show. Of course some people really think that he exists now; essentially these people would be writing to themselves, in my opinion, for only in their minds does he exist, just like Santa Claus exists in my mind. The assignment was to write a letter to a live person and get a reply, and this the student did not do. Give the student, and his mother, an F.

No comments: