Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2002/09/03

Astronomical year

It looks like astronomy will dominate my activities this autumn. Toastmasters runs into several conflicts. I have written a humorous speech for this year's Humorous Contests, a speech about our unreasonably bogged-down airline system done in the same spirit as the movies Airplane and Airplane 2. However, if I get beyond the Area level, I will have to quit. The Division Contest conflicts with the Virginia Association of Astronomical Societies (VAAS), and I am to give an introductory keynote speech to that. The District Conference has been moved to conflict with a mathematics meeting that I am going to. I am not giving a Speechcraft at my congregation because two of my biggest helpers and I are instead trying to save a weak Toastmasters club that meets the same night that the Speechcraft would have.

Instead, there are a large number of astronomical activities. A newspaper reporter interviewed me for articles in local newspapers today. There are several skywatches coming up in the next couple of months, and there is that VAAS convention that I just talked about. I intend to bring astronomy, and if possible, mathematics to the people in the next few months; to tell what it is about, and how to view the heavens with a telescope. I also hope to get involved with mathematics as well, probably teaching.

No comments: