Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2002/09/25

Tax Fuel Hogs!

I find my quest for a teaching position has been thwarted by Governor Warner's budget cuts. That has put a hiring freeze on six out of nine schools in this area. This may mean that I would want to get a non-teaching position instead, or continue working where I am. This is disappointing, and in my opinion, not necessary. I think that instead of cutting programs all over the place, Governor Warner should recommend instead an increase in the gasoline tax. We need to conserve on gasoline and petroleum even more than on water, as you can find out by reading the papers in www.oilcrisis.com I think that a 40 cent a gallon increase would allow the state government to eliminate most of the cuts, although an exact computation would require knowledge of the budget and of gasoline consumption. The increase would also help encourage development of alternative sources of energy such as hydrogen and wind. I urge Governor Warner to lift the hiring freeze and to increase the tax on gasoline.

No comments: