Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2003/11/30

A song a day

I came up with a new idea for journaling today. Call it songaling. This is that of composing a song each day. It is only about 16-32 measures long or so. The idea is that I would meditate briefly to get the songs that keep playing in my mind all the time and would influence what I would play out of my mind. Then I would play whatever comes up. Some interesting things have come up. After eight days, I have three rather pensive pieces, a Latin dance, a majestic composition sounding like a graduation song or a national anthem, a really weird piece, a blues number, and a 5/4 jig. The Latin number was inspired by my seeing a news segment on people who visit Cuba. Perhaps I could call it "What's so bad about Cuba?" or "¿Cuál es tan malo sobre Cuba?" I have put the anthem-like song on line because it is so inspiring; it is my Song of 2003 November 26. Click on the name to play it.

I don't know how long I can keep this up, but it provides a wide repertoire of my own music, some of which can serve as preludes at my church for instance, and if I continue it over a year, I will have written 366 compositions.

No comments: