Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2002/05/29

Warning

I took a course on a data system at my workplace last Friday, and looked at some of the course materials today. The first page of it was a poem by Jenny Joseph entitled "I shall wear purple". I looked it up on the Web and found it was really titled "Warning"; one site for it is http://www.cs.rice.edu/~ssiyer/minstrels/poems/716.html. The poem seems to speak of what this woman will do when she is old and what she now feels she has to do. It seems to say to live you life when you can and don't wait. It reminds me a little of the Love Song of J Alfred Prufrock, by TS Eliot.

I got intrigued by misspellings on the Web. A search for netwrok in Google, for instance, produces a huge list of netwroks. I also get lots of netowrks, newtorks (what's a new tork?), and entworks. All of these asked if I meant network. I tried "new tork" and got a list of new torks, including the New Tork Times. "Newtork" got me a question of whether I meant network, even though New York is just as plausible. I tried "net york, net york", and this time it suggested New York, New York. Finding New York and network to be so close was interesting, as a lot of things are networked to New York. It all goes to show that the Spell Checker can still be effectively used more than it is.

No comments: