Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2002/06/23

Gone with the Wind

I read a movie review of this movie. I saw the movie and read the book when I was young. The review points out that the main heroine, Scarlett O'Hara, is a relatively modern 1930's woman in a straitlaced Old South 1860's society. It makes me wonder if a 2000's woman were transported to 1860 Old South, how would she behave? I think she would have tried to organize other women and sought out to claim voting and other rights that our society now take for granted. She might even have picked up a rifle and went up with her husband to fight the Yankees. The book also said that there was a civilization of gentility that is now "gone with the wind", as the movie and book put it, back then; of course that society was based on the toil of slaves. The movie makes it sound like a Camelot, but I feel that I am glad that it is gone. Our society of opportunity and individual assertion makes life more meaningful than it ever was in the Old South. It was an interesting movie, though, and I may want to see it again, just to see Rhett say at the end, "Frankly, I don't give a damn."

No comments: