Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2002/06/28

Pledge SUUSI

SUUSI is approaching; it is coming at the end of July. I am a veteran of 11 SUUSIs so I was thinking this would be just another SUUSI. The Pledge of Allegiance ruling changed all that. The 9th Appellate Court ruled that the Pledge of Allegiance could not be recited in public schools because it contained the words "under God". Right away, the entire government of this country condemned the rating. This includes many other judges, the entire Senate, and all but three members of the House, and the President. So I find it comforting when I hear that the President of the Unitarian Universalist Association welcomes the ruling, and members of my congregation support it. I am glad to hear of people wanting to keep church and state separate.

This could not come at a better time for SUUSI. A group called Relative Viewpoint will be performing at SUUSI. To me they are the musicians who play "I Pledge Allegiance", where they pledge allegiance to the world we live in and to peace. I would like to hear the Pledge without "under God". Maybe I will at SUUSI. But for sure, I believe that I am going to hear Relative Viewpoint's Pledge, probably several times, and it may become a de facto theme for SUUSI. This pledge is especially inspiring when it is played to music. Pledge SUUSI. And now I am getting psyched up about going to this annual summer wonderland where anything can happen, and has, and will.

No comments: