Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2002/12/18

World Trade Center

Now we have 7 more designs for the World Trade Center. The six original ones were rejected, as they seem to be just piles of buildings without any character. The new proposals are certainly unusual, except for Number 6. Also there is some contradiction in the media as to whether there are 7 designs or 9. Get this straight, hypermedia, or anything goes. I will assume that there are 7 designs, the 7 on the CNN site. Here is my view of them:

1. This one features a collection of buildings with corners taken off and one high 1,776 foot spire. The chopped nature of this design makes me feel uneasy, and the spire is somewhat ill-defined. I would give this one 2 stars.

2. This one features what looks like a buckled up tower or pair of towers of tremendous height. It is inspiring because of the great height but the buildings look like they might fall down. I'd give it 4 stars. (out of 5)

3. This one has one building that looks like a domed building next to it, as well as two buildings that look like parts of some toy. This clashes with the architecture near it and seems a little alien. I'd give it 3 stars.

4. I have seen two designs for this. One features a bunch of tall glass buildings but the picture does not show me their tops. Another shows two wire frames of the original towers, along the lines of the original towers. I think it features both, and if so, this may be the best of the designs. I would give it 4.5 stars.

5. This design has the same problem as 2 or 3: an alien look. The buildings are supposed to be tied in knots somehow, which would be an architectural feat. I would give this one maybe 2.5 stars.

6. This one looks like the original designs. It looks like the worst of those designs - a pair of tall buildings and nothing out of the ordinary. I would give it 1.5 stars.

7. This one consists of 9 buildings 80 stories high, and the buildings are of unusual shapes. The massiveness of this one is notable. Give it 3 stars.

It seems Design 4 is my favorite, but I would have to get a full look at this design before I could definitely say that. There seems to be a tendency to give these buildings a non-building or unusual look (except for Design 6), probably as a reaction to the negative response of the public at the original six designs.

I tried to compose a design of my own recently, by plucking a pentagonal dodecahedron on the WTC site. This dodecahedron would be essentially a cube with roofs on each of the six sides. It would look like a jewel from space but unfortunately so wide that a model that would fill the entire WTC site on the ground would not come anywhere near the height of the original towers.

I notice by the way that these designs are being compared to the Petronas towers in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, because the Petronas towers are supposed to be the tallest in the world. Not as far as I am concerned. If you count those tiny little minarets on the Petronas towers, then you have to count the antenna on top of the Great Tower of Chicago, in my opinion. That would make the Great Tower of Chicago the tallest building. So I feel that the Great Tower of Chicago is the tallest building in the world. I call it Great Tower of Chicago because the usual name for this building, the Sears Tower, is inappropriate in my opinion because Sears no longer owns it.

No comments: