Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2003/05/26

Flood

One thing I have been noting is the increase in the number of cloudy and rainy days we have had. This past month have had two or three spells of it and not much sunshine. The sun finally came out today, on Memorial Day. That's the day that the pool is supposed to open in my development - officially anyway, with a kickoff party. But there was no party today. Rainy after rainy day has saturated our water table. Last night, a thunderstorm came and it simply poured and poured here, a solid wall of water. When I got up in the morning I had found that 3.75 inches of rain had fallen overnight, and further, I had recorded 0.83 inches the previous day for a total of 4.58 inches. This caused massive flooding in our development. The creek rose up about 6 to 8 feet, swamping the little park that our development has. Further, the water came over the level of the swimming pool, putting dirty water into the pool and damaging some of the buildings. I went over there today and they tell me the pool will be closed for a week. I suppose they have to pump it out, clean it out, and then fill it with fresh water and chlorinate it. I don't know what they would do about the damage to the buildings - about 6 inches of water there. In any case, if someone tells me if we have a drought now, I will show them our development with its flooded park and swimming pool. It's OK to sprinkle our lawns now, except for one thing. The lawns clearly don't need any sprinking.

No comments: