Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2004/05/05

Boycott Disney

In the past two months Disney has made two severe transgressions, and for that reason, I call for a boycott of Disney. I am not going to go to any Disney movies, buy any Disney products, or go to any Disney theme park.

The first of these is that Disney is a junk mailer. I got a piece of mail from them recently, with the letters ATMG in the address. Those letters mean Advanced Toastmaster Gold, which is solely a Toastmasters term, and in fact is trademarked by Toastmasters. Apparently Disney got a hold of a list of Toastmasters and started sending out mass mail to the people on this list. This is a direct violation of Toastmasters policy, which states that lists of Toastmasters and clubs are to be used only for Toastmasters purposes. Disney Enterprises has violated this policy.

The second concerns Michael Moore's Fahrenheit 9/11, a film critical of Bush since Planeattack in 2001. I have heard that Disney will not produce the film. Thereby they have proclaimed that they do not believe in freedom of speech. Disney wants to suppress free speech, evidently. I know they are a private corporation, but movies, for instance, are produced only by corporations, and so this denies people the right to see the movies they want. I watched Moore's Bowling for Columbine, about the gunhappiness of America, and found it to be one of the best films I have ever seen. I want to see Fahrenheit 9/11 as well. That does not mean that I necessarily agree with Moore; in fact, I suspect that there is some material of questionable validity in the film. But I still want to see the film itself, and regardless of the content, I expect it to be as good as Bowling for Columbine.

For these two reasons I am boycotting Disney until it stops sending out unwanted material and until it starts producing wanted material.

No comments: