Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2004/08/30

Gaston Surprise

Last night I was concerned about Frances, because it could come up our way in Richmond, Virginia. I am still concerned about that, but recent paths show it going away towards places farther west, so I am still monitoring that storm.

But tonight we had a surprise from what's left of Tropical Storm Gaston. I am still going to call it Tropical Storm Gaston, and in fact, it may regenerate into a hurricane when it gets out into the Atlantic. This is because the storm held together as a whole. We can't call it "remnants" because the storm is still a unified whole. It came up through South Carolina and North Carolina, where it caused tremendous flooding in Raleigh. Then it came here to Richmond where it literally dumped everything it had, and even produced some gale-force winds.

I got home OK but I was wondering about my wife's evening job. I examined all the reports coming in. I-95 was closed between Belvidere and Boulevard. Semmes and Commerce Avenue were closed. There were huge traffic jams on I-95 north south of the James River. There were floods on Brander's Bridge Road, Lewis Road at Ironbridge Road, Ironbridge Road at Newby's Bridge Road, I-195 between Douglasdale and Broad, Midlothian Turnpike in several places, and on Route 5 near Osborne to our east. I concluded that there was no way she could get to work. All the roads either had traffic jams or high water. So she didn't go in.

Richmond north of the city had 10-14 inches of rain. So far here we have had 4.6 inches, so it isn't the top storm here but it comes close. But it has caused some serious situations, more so than with some storms that were Class 3 hurricanes. Shockoe Bottom is flooded with people trapped on higher floors of buildings. The water on I-95 is so deep at one point that rescuers are having to get people by dragging them up from an overpass. A whole bunch of people are mandatorily evacuated because authorities are concerned about a dam break. Fortunately the center is going off shore, but unfortunately the western half of the storm seems to be strengthening. It will probably move off the coast tonight.

Among storms we have had, it ranks with Fran and Floyd, but in terms of rainfall, it tops them all. Last year was the Windstorm Isabel. This year it is Rainstorm Gaston. So I am hoping that Frances and her companions stay away. Latest guidance now suggests a landfall in Florida, so that may be good news, especially since it then is supposed to go out to the northwest. One storm like this in a year is enough.

No comments: