Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2002/06/30

A Cat is always a Cat

I thought of a mind experiment today. I imagine that one of my cats is sitting nearby, in its usual cat pose. I pick up one of his feet and move it a bit. The cat moves the foot back. It looks the same as before. I push the cat over. It gets up, and sits up facing another direction. The cat is now in a different situation, and it sees much different things, because of my actions. But it is the same cat as before. This shows that if we go through a lot of changes in our lives, then we may wind up in a different lifestyle or scene, but we will be the same person.

I continued to prepare for SUUSI by doing some work on part of SUUSImatics. I went to church and heard an inspiring talk by an ACLU lawyer on the separation of church and state. It is amazing. The people of my congregation are almost unanimous, spiritual and humanist both, in deleting "under God" from the Pledge of Allegiance, but other people are almost unanimous in wanting to keep it in. It's a sharp divide, and it is not the only sharp divide in our nation now.

No comments: