Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2002/07/04

Fourth of July Run

One of the most characteristic icons of Independence Day is the firework. This holiday, and New Year's Day are the two holidays in the year when we launch fireworks displays. My father would take us all to places to see fireworks, but usually I saw them in the distance from the car. I found this a little disappointing. He did take us down to Conesus Lake once to see fireworks, and I could see them closer then. Since then, I have tended to shun fireworks displays on Independence Day because of the huge traffic jams that result afterwards.

I had thought of bicycling to fireworks displays, but I found that running and walking are just as good. I run and swim for exercise, and last year for the first time, I ran after dark to hunt for all the fireworks displays in the neighborhood. Now I know that maybe these displays, created by people that live in the neighborhood, may be both illegal and dangerous (indeed, I did see one firework intended to go up in the air tonight instead go sideways), but still they are there and if I go out and run and walk at night I will find them. Last year I saw an impressive display that included rockets that exploded high in the air like public fireworks shows do.

I ran this year but it was not as productive, but I still found a crowd of people around a cul-de-sac in my neighborhood. They were launching firecrackers, Roman candles, and an occasional rocket. Further, I saw people walking back and forth. Evidently others want to go out to see these neighborhood displays. After these displays petered out, I ran around the neighborhood trying to find more displays but when I approached some cracking it would go quiet, only to pick up again as I run away from the place. It was an enjoyable run, good for keeping in shape and losing weight, and I get to see real fireworks (instead of the television variety) without having to drive into a traffic jam.

My next night run in the neighborhood will be what I call the "Yuletide fantasy run", when I run around to see all the displays of colored lights in the neighborhood.

No comments: