Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2002/07/06

Success from Life Stages

I continue to plug along in setting up my SUUSI workshops - I came up with a plan for giving this year's Stories of the Sky. Yesterday I completed a similar presentation for SUUSImatics, which will consist of seven "vignettes", some of which will be highly interactive. I also reviewed over my Toastmastersaccomplishments and found that I have given 100 speeches to or for Toastmasters clubs since I joined Toastmasters in 1986. I need 4 speeches for another Competent Toastmaster and two speeches about clubs for a Competent Leader award. I need two speeches for Advanced Toastmaster Bronze, but they could be two important ones. One calls for me to sell something (myself?), and the other calls for me to give a motivational success speech, like Zig Ziglar or Dr. Phil.

To me most success seminars sound alike, so I don't care to hear them. There are a few good ones around, such as Steven Covey, Steve Andreas, and Charles Faulkner (the last two are authors of "Neurolinguistic Programming"). But if I were to give one, how would it go? It would contain bits of wisdom from the most successful moments of my life. I divide my life into eight "acts", so I found a success principle from each. The list I got was:

Toddlerhood, Investigate it - it might be interesting
Childhood, Seek rewards
Adolescence, Consider all possibilities
Young adult, Take all possible actions
Settling down, Blaze your own path
Getting a promotion, Find a good group of people
Freedom Forties, Do what you like doing the best
Middle Age, Do it!

and the slogan I came up with just this past year: Just add one. I now need to make this into a 15-20 minute speech, which I will do sometime later this year.

No comments: