Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2002/12/10

Estival Christmas

I got an email today that says that we should try to show up for a party in the most festival costume that we can find. Well, of course, your costume can't be festival, for that's a noun, not an adjective. It can be festive or estival, but not festival. If it is estival, that means T-shirt, shorts, and flip-flops, or a swimsuit and a surfboard, since "estival" means "summerlike" or "summery". Thus a baseball uniform is estival. Which gave me the idea to rewrite "Take me out to the Ballgame" for this season of the year. At a Yuletide party, it would go:

Take me out to the Yule Party,
Take me out to the bash,
Buy me some chestnuts and spiked egg nog,
I don't care if I ever come back
for it's Ho, Ho, Ho here comes Santa Claus
If he don't come it's a shame,
For it's jerk, nod, up the chimney he scoots
at the Old Yule Party.

No comments: