Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2002/12/14

Yuletide Lights Run

Today I ran my annual Holiday Fantasy Lights run around our neighborhood. This is similar to the Fourth of July run, but this time I run to find good holiday light displays. This is a different task than hunting Fourth of July fireworks. The fireworks are sporadic. If I hear them I have to run there right away or I'll miss them. Not so with holiday lights. I can't hear them but they are visible for hours at a time. I found this year disappointing. Many streets in my neighborhood which were brilliantly lit in years past this year were mostly dull, with only an occasional holiday display. I try to find which display is the best. This year this honor goes to someone who put strings of colored lights all through all of the trees in his front yard. The side of the street is close enough to make you feel that you are in a wonderland. It must have been hard to get those lights up there; either a long pole or a ladder, with unsure footing on that tree, was needed. Most of the brighter displays use white floodlights. To me these are out. They pollute the sky! If I were a display judge, I would automatically eliminate all lots with white floodlights on them.

No comments: