Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2007/07/16

SUUSI 2007 Day 2

It is now the second day of SUUSI.

Another blogger said this SUUSI would be very very hard because of the tragedy of 2007 April 16, three months ago. SUUSI is held at Virginia Tech. We observed silence on the walk to the Ingathering at Burruss. While I went through the memorial of the slain students and faculty near that hall, the heavens shouted. A crack of thunder split the entire countryside. This sounded somewhat ominous to me. Is this to be a thunderous SUUSI? Are voices from up high calling?

However, I felt the SUUSI was just as fun as ever. I straightened out Serendipity by requesting a danceable number. There was a name game, and I selected the name “thunder”. The moving in was a madhouse, however, as the traffic in the tiny Owens parking lot was horrendous. We had more walking with heavy objects to do than in most years.

Today we had our first workshops, and in the morning I told my workshop about math and religion but had no definite answers, as indeed no UU has. In the afternoon I attended a class on Ken Wilber and my leaders told us something that implies that women are abrasive. I disagree with this completely. The logic: women go with the flow, flow is associated with the Yellow Meme, people at the Yellow meme tend to be abrasive; e.g., Jim Kunstler. Therefore, women are abrasive. We were discussing masculine and feminine types. This puts us into boxes, and even worse, stereotypes the sexes. Take the words “masculine” and “feminine” out – replace with individualistic and collective, perhaps.

No comments: