Blogtrek

Blogtrek

2003/12/09

We know what we don't know what we don't know what we know

I heard recently that the most abstruse language used by a politician award was given to US Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld, for this comment: "Reports that say something hasn't happened are always interesting to me, because as we know, there are known knowns; there are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns; that is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns -- the ones we don't know we don't know." I have a feeling that there is a lot that Mr. Rumsfeld does not know that he does not know about. Or maybe I don't know what I am talking about, or that I know that there is something I don't know about what Mr. Rumsfeld says, but maybe I really don't know that and maybe I know something that he does not know about what I don't know about how much people in Mr. Rumsfeld's department really know or don't know about each other. But I know this for certain: Mr. Rumsfeld's comment certainly had some people going about dizzy with knowing circles running above their heads.

No comments: